Friday, October 31, 2008

Well, let's see.. Nothing extraordinarily exciting happened recently, so I'm going to make this post about a random movie I saw for the Western paper. The movie was entitled Shane, and was probably one of the worst movies I've seen recently. The general plot was completely unoriginal - Poor farmer is harrassed by evil thugsters, lone hero rides in and chases the thugs off, farmer begs for hero's help, and hero eventually saves the day and rides off into the sunset. I happened to view the trailer for this movie as well, and I must say it was one of the worst trailers I've seen for a movie; One could deduct the entire movie from start to finish simply by watching the trailer and piecing it together.



There was one memorable thing the director/cinematographers did very well; The long shots of the mountains and other stuff looks very nice. The majority of the film was filmed near Jackson Hole, Wyoming, with many shots depicting the grand tetons in the background. That's the only coo' thing I can think of, though.

The acting was meh, even though some of the actors somehow got awards for their roles; The sound/music was just ANNOYING, with trumpets blaring out at random moments, including several times where nothing interesting was going on. If I remember correctly, the timing was off by several seconds more than once, too. The trumpets would start screaming, nothing would be going on, then the people would ride over the crest on horseback, which was nowhere near scary/dramatic enough to even require trumpets in the first place.

1 comment:

Jared said...

Hi. I disagree completely. I love westerns like this where the story is completely original, and doesn't copy 90% of what other westerns do! I also like the awesome loud and completely not obnoxious music blaring out at random moments. It keeps you riveted to the movie not knowing when the super loud trumpets are gonna blast next. The movie wasn't bad at all, you have to consider this was the best they could do back then so it was good . Bye